Social etiquette in South Korea is something that I find myself having to learn. Having been raised in the South, I come from a place where manners are extremely important and are drilled into children at an early age. Kids are taught to smile and say please and thank you. I find myself speaking, making eye contact, and smiling at people I pass on the street or in elevators. This doesn't seem to be a common practice in Korea. I have received some very strange looks. After having been here a few days, I read in my Lonely Planet guide book that smiling is a sign of embarrassment in the Asian culture. So if you are almost mowed down by a cab and the driver smiles at you, he was not laughing at you but was embarrassed. (This would have been useful information on the front end. NOTE TO SELF - Read book BEFORE coming to Korea!)
There seems to be an overall sense of respect for elders, which is a carry over from the system of Confucianism. I have noticed when walking on sidewalks or in public places older people expect you to get out of their way. They don't look you in the face but walk straight into you. There seems to be no system of right of way, where you walk to the right when passing someone. If you are younger you simply need to get out of the way.
No comments:
Post a Comment