Shopping the markets in Beijing was an experience like none other, and believe me I have done plenty of shopping! I was warned that it was aggressive, but I really had no idea what to expect. The first market we went to was the Pearl Market. As the name indicates it has plenty of pearls but it also has a little of everything else you could ever imagine. I don't think I have ever been to any one place that housed such a wide variety of goods. Everything from electronics to toys to clothes, shoes, jewelery, purses, luggage and the list goes on and on and on... Our exploration started in the handbag section. There was a knock-off of every brand of handbag you could think of. All you had to do was allow your eyes to focus on any handbag and there would be someone bringing it over to you and telling you all about it and how many colors it was available in. I was in the shoe department waiting on a friend when my eyes drifted over to a purse hanging on a column. Before I could blink an eye, the clerk climbed the column, took down the purse and brought it over to me, asking "You like?" The sales people would follow you to other departments. We even had one lady go so far as to follow us to another floor!!
We quickly learned that there was an art to shopping at the markets. You would never dream of paying the first price that they threw out to you. Someone even told me never to pay more than half of the first offer. This proved to be very good advice. They wanted you to engage in negotiations with them. What I found to be most surprising was when I really wasn't interested in the item and they continued to push you, I would throw out what I thought was a ridiculous price and when they realized you were leaving, they would say "OK LADY!" They would act put out but would sell the item for the really low price.
The next market we shopped was the Russian Market. It was also large and had an extensive variety. However, I found this market to be much more aggressive. (If you can believe that!) One of the sales girls balled up her fist and socked me in the arm. I could not believe it!!! While I had been waiting on a friend, I picked up some marble balls and asked what they were for. As I reached to put them back, someone bumped me from behind and one of the balls fell to the floor. I picked it up and set it back on the shelf. The next thing I knew some lady grabbed my arm and was yelling "YOU BROKE, YOU BROKE" I said "What?" and looked at the ball to see there was a small chip that I had not noticed. She then started yelling "YOU PAY, YOU PAY!" In my mind I was dreading the haggling over the price that was about to take place, she hauled off and hit me. I was so mad I just left. I would have gladly paid for it had she not hit me!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment